Wednesday, February 4, 2009

MUSINGS ON A COLD WINTRY MORN

Good morning to all, even though there is nothing good about the weather over here. It has been snowing of late which is quite unusual even for Irish weather ! Thanks to the screwed up world weather system !

My mind was wide awake but my body clung on, reluctant  to abandon the  warmth and comfort of my bed. But part, I must, with the company of my worn  but well serving duvet cover. And there is nothing more wonderful than a nice hot shower and a hotcup of rich  aromatic  coffee to kick start the day !

Rihanna was singing about her umbrella over the car  radio which was kind of ironic,as the rain had started to pour buckets as I watched the school kids,housewives, office girls and men in suits hurrying away for cover.

As my car lumbered along patiently through the congestion, my fingers drummed to the beats of song in sync with the tip-taps of the rain and the squish-squash of the screen wipers! 

What a dreadful way to start an awful day ,I thought, as I mused about my plans for the  day,about loved ones, family ,work ,the economic situation and what is happening back home in Malaysia !

I felt safe and comfortable even in this wretched weather yet I missed Malaysia ! I am not sure if the fondness was due to absence and geographical distance or to the sudden pang for my favourite hawker fare ! I supposed that is what most people do when they are caught in traffic  and in contemplation, while in a foreign land ! 

Was it the homesickness in me bursting out or  was it my concern for the political and socio-economic uncertainties developing in Malaysia that was overwhelming me , I was not sure but my thoughts shifted to why we are in such a dismal situation and what we can do as a nation to get ourselves out of the rut that we have landed ourselves in.

Perhaps we need to wake up to the realization that Malaysia has no need for blind patriots and that to serve our nation and country well we ought not only be patriots but be patriots with hearts and minds that are big and open enough to embrace all that is good and reject all that is bad for the country,regardless of race,religion,creed or gender.

Let us learn from the past mistakes of other nations who perished because they allowed the flames of their  blind loyalties to their individual causes engulfed and destroyed them because they were no longer able to see beyond the logic and reality of the bigger picture.

Let us not let our differences disunite us but let our similarities bond us in our unending task of nation building. 

Let us not be enemies just because we are of the socio-economic and political divide. It is irrelevant that we raise different political flags and fly different banners. What is of relevance is that although our ideologies differ it is the common good and interests of the nation and country that we serve!

And as righteous and rightful citizens, it is our  duties to raise our views,voice our opinions,clear our doubts and even dissent if necessary,to see and to act, if need be, to the well being of our nation and country because we no longer have the luxury to be passive to leave it to our politicians to run our country and to decide on our common destiny because the people chosen by the people for the people has failed us miserably and detrimentally in their roles as the quardians of the nation and country.


No comments: